Technisches Museum Gesenkschmiede Zella-Mehlis
Original the forge was built as a sawmill with two water wheels between 1830 and 1840. In 1917 the company Wahl who had a forge in Zella-Mehlis since 1842 bought the building and converted it into a forge. The family company Wahl used the forge until 1985. In 1988 the building was put under protection of historical monuments. Today the former forge is a technical museum where you can see amongst other things special hammer of a size of more than 4 meters and a weight of more than 16 tons. These are the oldest hammer of its type in Germany. You will be informed about the production of several forging components and tools. We show you a lot of historical maschines and tools.
Our offer for you
- an interessting and pleasent visit as well as an expert care
- guidance through the exhibition for every age (after appointment »)
- events, projects e.g. for school classes (after appointment»)
- changing special exhibitions
- extensive offer of literature and souvenirs
- parking place infront of the building (even for tour bus)
- You can use our Kneipp-complex (may to september)
The vistit of the museum is also accessible for handicapped person. The tour through the former forge is most extensive accessible.
Only 300 meters away from the technical museum you can find the Hotel Waldmühle ».
The hotel offers gastronomic care and modern rooms.
The staff members of the Technischen Museum Gesenkschmiede are pleased about your assessment on Tripadvisor !
Technisches Museum Gesenkschmiede
Telefon: 0 36 82 - 4 33 45
Telefax: 0 36 82 - 47 90 38
Your partner in the museum:
- Head of the museum:
- Your partner outside of the museum:
Thomas Faulstich (courses for forging/wedding-forging)